top of page
  • Writer's pictureJohn Massey

Marriage Allowance ๐Ÿ’

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer ยฃ1,260 of your tax-free Personal Allowance to your spouse or civil partner and save up to ยฃ252 tax per year.

The rules are nicely summarised in this video:

Who qualifies?

  • You must be married or in a civil partnership

  • Your taxable income must be under the Personal Allowance (currently ยฃ12,570)

  • Your partner's income must be under the Higher Rate tax threshold (currently ยฃ50,270)

How to apply

The lower-earning partner should make the claim using their Personal Tax Account to apply online.

How your accountant can help

Where we act for both spouses, we'll advise if Marriage Allowance is available to you. However, if we do not act for the lower-earning spouse, then this is something you should consider and claim yourselves. Of course, feel free to ask questions and definitely let us know if you go ahead and make a claim; but be aware that in not acting for both spouses it's not possible for us to proactively advise on this matter.

Finally, if you get married, don't forget to tell your accountant!

Would you like help to pay less tax? Feel free to get in touch or check out our related posts ๐Ÿ‘‡

8 views0 comments
bottom of page