top of page
  • Writer's pictureJohn Massey

How to claim motor expenses if you're self-employed ๐Ÿš—

Updated: Feb 8

Should you claim actual motoring costs (fuel, insurance, repairs etc) or claim the 45p mileage rate against your self-employed profits? As a general rule of thumb: Van drivers are better off claiming for actual costs. If however, you use your family car for some business use, you're probably better off claiming mileage ๐Ÿ‘

HMRC's 2 min. video summaries this nicely:

Mileage claims

Currently, HMRC allows a claim of 45p per business mile as long as your business journeys are recorded via a mileage log (the rate falls to 25p per mile after the first 10,000 miles).

Importantly your mileage log should include: Date, start-point, destination, the purpose of the journey and the number of miles travelled. Like all business records, these should be kept for a minimum of 6 years + the current tax year.

Our recommended bookkeeping apps both include mileage tracking features:

Infrequent business travellers might find it easier to download and use our simple Excel-based template.

Mileage Log by MAC
Download XLSX โ€ข 152KB

Would you like help to pay less tax? Feel free to get in touch or check out our related posts ๐Ÿ‘‡

94 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page